Lemon Kiss Chocolate Cake
Preparation Time: 50 mins
Cooking Time: 60 mins
1. Roughly chop the couverture chocolate, dice the butter and put both in a metal bowl. Place the bowl onto a suitably sized pan with a little boiling water and stir occasionally until both ingredients have melted. Stir occasionally. Remove from the water bath and cool to room temperature.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C conventional heat. Beat the eggs and sugar in the mixing bowl of the MaxxiMUM at setting 7 for five minutes until creamy and fluffy.
3. Add the chocolate-butter mixture and beat at setting 5 until everything is well combined. Tilt up the arm of the MaxxiMUM, mix flour, baking powder and cocoa powder, sieve onto the mixture and gently stir in with the MaxxiMUM's silicone stirring whisk at setting 1.
4. Line the bottom of a 20 cm springform pan with baking paper and lightly grease the side of the pan with butter. Fill in the chocolate mix and place on a rack at the second level from the bottom. Bake for about 70 minutes.
5. Insert a wooden skewer in the centre of the cake – if no wet batter sticks to it when you pull it out, the cake is done. Take out of the oven, remove the ring from the pan and leave the cake to cool completely on a cooling rack.
6. Put a dessert plate with a diameter of 16 cm on top of the cake and cut 3 cm deep around the edge of the plate. Remove the plate and scoop the cake base out with a teaspoon, leaving the bottom of the cake and an edge of 2 cm.
7. Heat 200 ml milk with 150 g sugar in a small pan until the sugar has dissolved. Mix the remaining milk with the custard powder and stir into the hot milk beside the hob. Stir the milk. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly, then stir in 80 g of butter.
8. One by one, add 5 egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest. Keep stirring over a low heat for 5 minutes. Pour the lemon crème into the chocolate cake and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
9. For the meringue topping, put 5 egg whites into the mixing bowl of the MaxxiMUM; use the beating whisk. Select the automatic function on the display and set the dial to S for SensorControl. The MaxxiMUM will now whip the egg whites until they reach the perfect stiffness and then turn off automatically.
10. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 350 g sugar with 50 ml water, allow to boil for 3 minutes over medium heat. Turn the MaxxiMUM to setting 5, pour the boiling hot sugar syrup into the running machine and continue to beat until the mixture has a silky sheen. Loosely spread over the cake and serve.